POSITION: Marketing and Sales Coordinator for CSA and Farm to School Programs
ORGANIZATION: The Abundant Table (501.c.3 non-profit), theabundanttable.org
HOURS: 30 hours/week
LOCATION: Ventura County, CA (primarily Camarillo and Oxnard)
CSA AND FARM TO SCHOOL PROGRAM OVERVIEW
This is a one year grant funded position through the USDA Farmer’s Market Promotion Program, with the potential to continue past one year. The purpose of the grant: To increase the number of low-income families able to purchase weekly Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) boxes; establish monthly pop-up stands at Title I schools; increase the amount and variety of culturally-appropriate fruits and vegetables through CSA and farm-to-school programs; by (1) enhancing infrastructure for increased consumption of locally grown produce to low-access and low-income communities; (2) developing new marketing and promotional materials for outreach to schools, faith-based, and farmworker communities; and (3) piloting a new school pop-up farm stand at Title 1 schools.
The Abundant Table (www.theabundanttable.org) is a faith-based, 501c3 nonprofit organization and farm rooted in the Episcopal/Lutheran Church. We provide a crucial and unique link in Ventura County, connecting local food production, distribution, and nutrition literacy through our farm-to-school, community- and faith-based initiatives. We benefit from a dedicated community of supporters that share our vision and commitment to farmworker rights, food justice, and responsible environmental stewardship of the land.
Our programs use land- and asset-based approaches to empower youth and their families to advocate for sustainability, healthy eating, and food system reform in their homes, schools, and communities. The Abundant Table hosts four main program areas: (1) a working farm that grows produce for the Farm-to-School program, the CSA subscription service, and occasional farm stands; (2) farm education, which includes programs like “Farmer in the Classroom” and “Rooted Futures” which focus on educating youth about land health and human nutrition; (3) an internship program that engages volunteers in intentional community, social justice, and care of the land; and (4) faith-based programs including “ALIVE! Eco-Faith Farm Camp” and The Abundant Table Farm Church.
Since 2009, our programs have directly served over 12,000 people throughout Ventura and Los Angeles Counties. Each year we provide bilingual farm and nutrition education to nearly five thousand K-12 students through the “Farmer in the Classroom” program (at least half of the students at these schools qualify for federally-supported free and reduced price meals). We deliver approximately 150 community supported agriculture (CSA) members fresh, locally grown vegetables weekly. We donate nearly 500 pounds of produce per month to families in need. We grow and harvest over 20,000 pounds of carrots and other vegetables for local school districts’ lunch programs. We develop future faith-rooted farm and social justice leaders through our young adult internship program.
Title: Marketing and Sales Coordinator (Bilingual, Spanish/English)
The Marketing and Sales Coordinator provides a vital role within The Abundant Table’s income generating Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and Farm to School programs and establishes a visible community presence for our nonprofit organization’s services and products.
This is a new position that will build upon our current CSA and Farm to School sales with a key focus of developing new distribution markets in under-resourced communities (predominately Latino/a and Mixteco), as well as incorporating produce from other local growers into our unique distribution markets.
The primary functions of the Marketing and Sales Coordinator are as follows:
Outreach and Promotion –
• Establish The Abundant Table as Ventura County’s first SNAP-approved CSA program, launch new CSA pick-up locations in low-access areas;
• Oversee design and printing of co-branded materials that promote CSA and Pop-Up Farm Stands;
• Develop and implement new communications strategies for outreach to monolingual Spanish speaking communities;
Farmer/Grower Network Development –
• Expand existing network of growers that supplement our farm’s CSA to increase the number of farmer/grower participants that can offer an increased variety of and extended season of locally produced fruits and vegetables;
• Coordinate produce sales/donations from multiple local growers for CSA and Pop-Up Farm Stands;
• Define purchase agreements with growers;
• Liaise with AT Farm Team and participating growers to identify weekly CSA box contents and Farm Stand produce.
Sales, Distribution and Customer Service –
• Strategize on logistically feasible and profitable new CSA sites and follow through with new site contacts to establish new CSA pick up locations;
• Maintain and periodically evaluate the feasibility and cost-effectiveness of existing CSA sites and make value-added recommendation to maintain profitability;
• Serve as the primary link between consumers and the Farm Team, communicating concerns, feedback and changes appropriately;
• Manage the Farmigo website, providing all customer relations and first line point of contact regarding CSA subscriptions, balances and payment;
• Maintain necessary records;
• Prepare CSA sales reports, using Farmigo analytics, for reporting to The Abundant Table Board of Directors every other month; and other tasks as needed.
• California State Driver’s license and a clean driving record
• Excellent verbal and customer service communication skills
• Fluent Spanish and English language skills (required)
• Graphic design skills – not necessary but helpful
• Deep passion and commitment to connecting both marginalized and privileged communities to sustainable agriculture
• Commitment to Racial Justice and Anti-Opression
• Detailed oriented and organized
• Superior time management
• Physically able to drive, bend, stand, walk, and pull for long periods of time and lift-up to 50lbs repeatedly
• 30 hours/week
• $30,000 annual compensation
• 3 weeks vacation, plus paid holidays
• Health insurance benefits through Kaiser Permanente
Send a cover letter, which includes where you heard about this position, in the body of the email and attach your resume in a PDF version to email@example.com by Monday, November 16th. Make sure resume includes at least two references. The subject line should read, TAT Marketing and Sales Coordinator – (Your Name). No phone calls please. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
Applicants only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
The Abundant Table is committed to providing equal opportunity employment opportunities to candidates and employees without regard to race, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, or national origin citizenship.
The Abundant Table encourages women and people of color to apply for employment opportunities.